Tsunami Self-Defense is a co-educational program that I have developed. My system of personal protection is well rounded, covering a mind, body connection within self-defense. I use traditional martial arts philosophy and techniques to help prepare people for modern day attacks and dangerous situations.
In this course you will learn
- Awareness techniques: proactive thinking and how to avoid harmful situations in the first place. In other words, I teach how NOT to be a target, or an easy mark.
- Meditation. Each class begins and ends with self-awarness meditation. The participants will learn breathing techniques, and how to stay “calm in the storm,” which is one of the most valuable things to know when attacked.
- To use abdominal breathing and shouts for distraction and impact. This is taken from Karate and the Tai Chi tradition.
- Real Life Role Play: being aware of danger areas such as parking lots / garages, back alley short cuts, stairways, shrubs, and so on. I teach Behavior patters and warning signals of potential abusers, assailants, and criminals.
- Attacks: response to and release from grabs, holds, and joint locks. I teach blocks and strikes to defend and prevail.
- The “Anatomy of an Attack,” and how to act in the few crucial seconds of the confrontation.
This class spans a variety of martial arts, focusing on the most practical and effective techniques for self-defense. A graduate of this class will be able to walk anywhere in confidence, and will know where NOT to walk—even though he or she can.
In addition, this program can be beneficial to someone who has experienced rape, sexual assault, relationship violence, abuse, or any sort of attack. It is a way to help regain confidence, self worth, and the skills to move on in their lives.
A tsunami is a great and powerful wave caused by an undersea earthquake. The earthquake is symbolic of the attack. The wave is a reaction to the attack. Before the the attack, the ocean is calm. But when attacked, we need to rise up like a great and powerful tsunami.